Monday, January 21, 2013

January 21, 2013

I'm 18 days away from surgery.  I am very nervous, but I've been reading other people's blogs about their surgeries and this is helping.  I've always said that 'knowledge' is power, so I figure the more I read and learn about other people's real experiences, the less fearful it will be.  I did the same thing with childbirth and that was a great strategy.  So perhaps my blog will help someone else too!

One thing I'm disappointed with is the fact that I did not lose a few pounds prior to my surgery.  I am such a bad stress eater and I have had a few stressful events over the past few months.  So I'm actually about 7 lbs heavier than when I had my consult in July.   The nurse at the doctor's office didn't seem too concerned with my weight.  She said that it was "just a number".  So now my hope is that after this surgery I will feel more confident about exercising.  I know that it doesn't matter how much weight I lose now, my belly will still sag and I've got to say, that is VERY discouraging.  When I weighed 115 lbs after having 2 of my 4 children, I still had the apron sag.  I don't have any desire to be that skinny, but just about 20 lbs off would be nice. 

Another concern I have is that this surgery is expensive and vain.  Hmmmm...... I accept that -- but I hope that it will make me feel better about myself.  I am constantly grabbing my belly skin because I am so self conscious about it. (and my husband has really noticed that about me.....) so now I'm just ready to move forward and get this done!  My pre-surgical doctor's visit is Thursday.  I have a list of questions for the doc, stuff like "is it common for the drains to leak?"  and "do a lot of people vomit after surgery?" LOL..... nevermind the pain!  I can't really wrap my mind around the pain.  But my surgeon injects anesthesia into the muscles that he says will stay in effect for 3 days post.  Lets hope that's true! 

Other than this I have slowly been making preparations:  I've purchased hibiclense for my presurgical bathing, I've borrowed a walker and a reacher.  I have a good ice pack ready.  I have waterless shampoo caps and some 'adult' wet wipes! I have some crochet to work on during recovery..... I've purchased some PJ's that are a little loose and button down the front.  All of these things have been recommended by others in their blogs. 

So I'll just close for now and post again after my doctor's appointment. 

2 comments:

  1. I guess from your surgery on, we should just bring healthy snacks to work... no more cookie month.. but never forget we all support you. I would love to be able to have done what you are! Well, I think I want a mini or partial.. whatever you call it! ;) love you!!

    ReplyDelete

  2. Hello guys! Nice article about tummy tuck.Tummy tuck surgery is good choice for remove a extra fat in our body without more effects.


    Tummy Tuck Philippines

    ReplyDelete